Homeschool tantrums are something that many experience, often times daily. These episodes can last for minutes or even hours. It is so important for homeschooling parents to work together to find out if the homeschool tantrums are from learning gaps or behavior issues. These devastating events can be avoided with the proper attention and action, once you understand what is causing them.
Homeschool Tantrums: Identifying Gaps or Behavior Issues
Often times, learning gaps can also cause behavior issues. When walking through these steps be sure to see how your child reacts to the learning gap steps. If they grow upset through them, work on the behavior issues steps.
I’m going to share with you a few steps that you can use to learn how to identify if the issues you are experiencing with your child are gaps or behavior related.
The key to identifying gaps is to eliminate the stress your child may be feeling if they do not know something that is expected of them or already covered that they didn’t retain. This process is best done if the child is unaware that you are trying to find the cause of their tantrums or your concern that they are missing something in their education.
- Evaluate Your Child – In a relaxed environment, evaluate your child’s skill level in the subjects where they have tantrums. Drill math facts, have them do some copywork, writing or reading, or whatever it is that seems to be when the child starts demonstrating their tantrum.
- Pop Quizzes in Disguise – Begin using driving time, standing in lines or waiting for appointments as ways to do oral math or ask questions that will help you distinguish the comprehension of subjects you are questioning if there are gaps.
- Play Games that Uses the Skills in Question – Staying a little below the level you expect your child to be at, begin to play games on the Kindle Fire, computer, board games or other options to see how quickly they can do the skills in questioned.
- Implement a Teacher Day – Switch places with your child once a week and allow them the opportunity to be the teachers. If they are able to ‘teach’ you a past lesson without difficulty, they have learned the necessary things. However, if they are not able to cover the basic information necessary to play teacher in the subject you can easily identify the gaps.
The key to identifying behavior issues is to take a step back and become very observant of your child’s behavior at different times and in different situations. Often times, with children who are having homeschool tantrums, they have already learned that they can manipulate the situations that they don’t prefer and control the outcome by their behavior.
To identify behavior issues, you are really going to need to be objective and honest with yourself. If you identify some issues that are arising outside of lessons but are similar to the actions during the homeschool tantrums, it is best to work on the issues in other places before addressing them in the schooling.
- Evaluate Your Child’s Obedience – How quickly or willing is your child when asked to do something around the house that he or she doesn’t prefer? What actions do they exhibit if they are trying to get out of the chore being asked of them? How similar are these actions when they have a tantrum during their homeschool?
- Evaluate Your Child’s Ability to Work Through a Challenge – How does your child react when they have challenges to work through when learning a new skill or interest? Are they easily upset when they don’t get it the first time or are they happy to keep trying to learn?
- Evaluate Your Child’s Ability with Someone Else Teaching – This is difficult for a homeschooling mom, but necessary if you expect behavior issues as the reason behind the homeschool tantrums. These types of behavior issues are a way of manipulating the situation and to really determine it, you should consider having someone else teach the lessons that are seeing the tantrums the most. In just one or two lessons, you should be able to clearly know if it is a learning gap or a behavior issue.
Would you like to eliminate the challenge of homeschool curriculum choices while finding confidence that you are buying the right curriculum for your family? If so, you can download my free guide that includes secrets to evaluating curriculum that is a perfect fit for your unique family. Just click here to get Curriculum Evaluations The Why, What, & When to Making Curriculum Choices for FREE in your inbox.