Most homeschool families are a one pay check household and saving money where they can really does make an impact on their final budget. I'm excited to share with you how we save money each year in our homeschooling and hope that some of these tips will help you in your endeavor to save money in your homeschooling budget as well.
We have homeschooled for 14 years and have figured out how to cut the cost more all the time. In addition to our frugal ways to save money, our method of homeschool has also helped greatly in this area.
Here is how we save money while homeschooling:
- Buy Use – We try to never buy new in any of our curriculum choices, especially since there are some many local used book sales in our area. For a great place to find used books online, try Homeschool Classifieds.
- Buy Non-consumable – When we can count the cost over several children or for severals years through non-consumable curriculum, we are more likely to purchase new because the investment is shared for more than one use.
- Sell What We No Longer Need – When we have items on our shelves that we are no longer going to use, we sell them at local used book sales and put that money back into the items that are needed for the next year.
- Don't Fix What Isn't Broke – We stick to the same math curriculum in all of our years of homeschooling, which has saved us hundreds of dollars because the teacher's manual is where you really fork out a lot of money.
- We Use Living Books for Curriculum – Using the Charlotte Mason method of educating our family has allowed us to put our curriculum money into living books that we find at used sales, yard sales, thrift stores and even at library sales. Many times, we use the library for some of our books and unless we don't return them on time that cost us nothing.
Do you have other frugal ways that you use to save money while homeschooling?
You may also enjoy a post I wrote called How to Save While Dating Your Husband over at Managing Your Blessings.
Would you like to eliminate the challenge of homeschool curriculum choices while finding confidence that you are buying the right curriculum for your family? If so, you can download my free guide that includes secrets to evaluating curriculum that is a perfect fit for your unique family. Just click here to get Curriculum Evaluations The Why, What, & When to Making Curriculum Choices for FREE in your inbox.